Pokemon Elite Redux is a challenging GBA ROM hack of Pokemon Emerald that overhauls the difficulty and adds a number of new features, including new mega evolutions, a moveset database, and more. Defeat the Elite Four with your team of competitive Pokemon in this challenging and rewarding ROM hack!
Download Pre-Patched Pokemon Elite Redux GBA ROM
- Creator: Darkyy92x
- Version: v1.6
- Hack of: Pokemon Emerald
- Updated: August 17, 2023
Also, be sure to check out Pokemon Eclat Pourpre.
Pokemon Elite Redux is a game that places great emphasis on challenging gameplay and diverse team building opportunities. It allows players to use up to 4 different abilities at the same time, and each Pokemon and trainer has been manually rebalanced to ensure optimal gameplay. With over 100 new abilities and a variety of new moves, players can enjoy a unique experience inspired by popular hacks like Inclement Emerald and Radical Red. The game also includes many quality of life improvements and puts an end to the tedious grinding. All in all, Pokemon Elite Redux offers a fresh take on classic Pokemon gameplay.
TL;DR: If you like taking on challenges, fighting battles, and forming teams without having to grind endlessly, then you’ll definitely appreciate this hack. Pokémon Elite Redux isn’t your typical difficulty hack because its features are unlike anything you’ve experienced before. Additionally, this hack offers numerous quality of life improvements that make the gameplay fresh and unique.
Up to 4 skills at the same time
Each Pokémon can have up to 3 switchable abilities and up to 3 fixed (innate) abilities. This creates fun new strategies and endless gameplay fun as you can play many Pokémon in different ways. Imagine Gyarados with Moxie & Aerilate or Intimidate at the same time!
Every single trainer has a completely unique moveset
in Pokemon Elite Redux Each trainer group has been manually reworked, taking into account all new/changed abilities and moves. Most trainers have a complete moveset for competition with various held items. Each rematch has been customized to ensure variety. You won’t meet the same brain-dead Poochyena with tackle everywhere.
Fair but unique difficulty level
We don’t like to create difficulty by giving the player much fewer or worse tools than the AI, and we mean it. Most of the strategies that the AI uses, you can also use. Be creative! The fighting style is always “fixed”. If you choose Elite difficulty, there’s a good chance you’ll get beaten by the first trainer if you’re not prepared. Also, there aren’t too many unfair advantages for the AI (like unattainable abilities, permanent combat effects, etc.).
110+ new custom skills
With over 370 skills in total and around 50 modified/expanded skills, you have plenty of options to overcome the many challenges that await you. Additionally, all ability descriptions have been rewritten for greater accuracy!
Redesigned & stronger AI
We’ve reworked the Pokemon Elite Redux AI to reflect all new/changed abilities and moves. Plus, every trainer now uses the smartest AI.
- You can set EVs quickly and easily on the overview screen.
- You can also change natures and abilities from the overview screen.
- You’ll get a new Candy Box (unlimited rare candies) so you can change teams often to try out new strategies. Rare Candies have a Gen 8 mechanic, meaning you can evolve at the level cap. You can either advance up to 4 levels at once or jump straight to the current level cap to save time!
- Every Pokémon has 31 IVs by default. You can easily change Hidden Power types with the Type Gems.
- You can set your Speed IVs to 0 (for Trick Room teams) or back to 31 with the new Iron Pill item.
- All Poké Balls have a 100% catch rate. You can use any ball you like. Additionally, every ball is infinite use.
- All held items stay on your Pokémon after battling – no more re-equipping Berries & Focus Sashes!
- Auto-Heal before every battle – no need for medicines or other healing items anymore.
Reworked Pokémon, Abilities, Moves & Items
Every single Pokémon in Pokemon Elite Redux has been given love individually, e.g. Gyarados is now Water/Dragon with Levitate, and Gengar can be used physically or specially. We reworked many moves to be less frustrating or more fun to use. For example, Aurora Beam now always lowers the foe’s Attack by one stage. The type chart hasn’t been touched. Some items like Big Root and Shell Bell have been buffed.
Teach Moves Directly From The Party Menu
Now you can teach all available Level-Up moves, Egg moves, TMs/HMs and Tutor moves conveniently.
Just like in newer Pokémon games, Pokemon Elite Redux there is no need to go back to the Pokémon Center just to change your party. Also, you can now edit all your Pokémon directly in the PC!
Upgraded Battle Engine & Battle UI
- Using RH-Hideouts Battle Engine, all Pokémon from Gen 1 to 7 (1200+ Species) plus many Gen 8 Pokémon are catchable, and most Gen 8 moves, abilities & items too. Including Mega Evolution, but not Z-Moves.For some Mega Evolutions, you can even choose between 3 different abilities!
- Vastly improved Battle UI, which shows Type Effectiveness & STAB to help with some new typings. It even considers abilities such as Levitate. Also, you can press L when selecting moves to check Power, Accuracy, and if the move makes contact – just like in CFRU hacks!
- Frostbite has replaced Freeze: No more annoying freezes! Frostbite deals 1/16 HP damage per turn. The Special Attack of the affected Pokémon is halved. 3x chance of Frostbite in hail.
- There are many really strong trainers (including Gym Leaders & E4) waiting for you after you’ve beat the E4. There are up to 4 carefully crafted rematches per trainer. You also don’t have to wait a day anymore to rematch Gym Leaders – you can battle whenever you like!
- You can choose Singles or Doubles, with or without Legendaries for important RematchesAfter beating the Champ, you can catch all remaining Legendaries (Gen 1 – 7 and two special Pokémon from Gen 8) if you have beaten all trainers on certain routes.
Easy Catching / Tweaked DexNav
Featuring ghoulslash’s improved DexNav, which we further tweaked for easier catching. You can instantly scan for the Pokémon you want from the beginning. They also don’t run away anymore. Did I mention, you will have unlimited Pokéballs with 100% catch rate?
Access To Many Battle & Evolution Items From The Start
You’re not limited by any means – it’s totally fine to send your 252/252 Atk/Speed Pokémon with Choice Band and Adamant nature against the first trainer. You’ll also get all Mega Stones before battling Norman (5th Gym).
Accessible For Everyone
Intended as a difficulty hack first, but you can pick between three difficulty modes and three level caps. Play how you like it. You can also turn off EVs completely anytime in any mode.
- Easy Mode: Trainers have no EVs, but you can have them. That’s a huge advantage, but the teams will still be a challenge! Bag use in battles is disabled. The Set battle style is enforced.
- Ace Mode: Same teams & limitations as in Easy Mode, but every trainer has custom EVs. Also, there is a sleep clause, which prevents putting more than 1 Pokémon to sleep.
- Elite Mode: Same limitations as in Ace Mode, but you’ll face much harder teams for important fights, like Gym Leaders and the Pokémon League. Additionally, you have to unlock more innates by defeating the first 2 Gyms.
Various Fun Randomizer Modes
Encounter Randomizer, Ability Randomizer, Innate Randomizer, Move Randomizer
Pokemon Elite Redux Tons Of Quality Of Life Changes
- Rewritten move descriptions for more clarity or to describe new effects, now it’s much easier to see the chance for additional effects like flinching, or which moves affect Iron Fist / Mega Launcher etc.
- Updated Move Details Screen – now shows more move details like Critical Hit Rate, Chance of Secondary Effects, etc.
- Enable/disable permanent repel from the Options Menu
- Level Cap System: Once a Pokémon is over the cap, it’ll only get one EXP point per KO. You also see the current level cap in the Start Menu.
- Smart Level Scaling – Wild Pokémon and Trainers scale to your level, even works with the DexNav.
- Updated Summary Screen – now also shows Base Stats at a glance.
- Register items in a list menu (press L to access list)Expanded Bag Space with more pockets
- Unlimited TM use, new TM case from Fire Red
- No need to teach HMs, also you can fly to already visited places with every Pokémon
- You can now get the Mach and Acro bike simultaneously
- Berries grow instantly, and yield 100 berries
- Wild Encounters on Berry Trees
- Disabled random calls from Trainers
- In-Game Tutorial NPC, explains the most important changes
- New item: Iron Pill: Use it on any Pokémon to set Speed IVs to 0. Use again to set back to 31.
- Easier evolution (Night / Day / Friendship / Trade Evos removed)
- Day & Night Inverter for wild Pokémon (old guy in every Pokémon Center)
- Nurse Joy: insta-heal without dialogue (but not really needed anymore because of auto-healing before battles)
- You can change Eevolutions forth and back >> there’s an NPC in Rustboro Pokémon CenterThis gives the possibility to have moves like Leaf Blade (from Leafeon) for Flareon
- All eggs hatch in 4 cycles (shortest possible)
- Removed daycare egg daily limit
- Eviolite doesn’t prevent evolutions to allow for faster teambuilding, but still gives 50% Defense Boosts
- Auto Run – Also works indoors. You can hold B while it’s on to walk, or to run when it’s off. You can even hold B to surf faster!
- The name rater can be found in every Pokémon Center. You can even rename other trainers’ Pokémon!
- Decapitalisation: no more capslock
- No more low HP beep – finally!
Custom Options Menu
- Auto Run
- Permanent Repel
- Display damage: shows the damage dealt
- Ask for Nickname
- Play with or without EVs anytime (if you disable, the enemy also doesn’t have EVs)
- AI controlled battles – the AI controls your team in battle, which is fun sometimes!
- Shiny Rate Booster (up to 1/5 chance)
- Individually-Unique Pokémon Colors Patch
Boosted Shiny Rate: Now you can boost the Shiny Rate drastically – no need to waste hours looking for the color you want!
All Moves Are PP Maxed: Like in Pokémon Showdown, every move is PP maxed (yours and the AI)
Lots Of Useful Items From Nurse Joy: Every time you talk to her in any Pokémon Center, she fills up your bag again:
- Candy Box – level up (up to 4 levels with one click or directly to the current Level Cap), without grinding
- Upgraded DexNav – instantly see all Pokémon in an area without battling them first
- All relevant Battle Items (Leftovers, Choice Band/Scarf/Specs, Life Orb, Type Gems and much more)
- All TMs and HMs + TM Case (but you need to progress the story like usual to unlock Surf etc. in the overworld)
- One of each Pokéball – they don’t get used anymore when you throw them
- All useful Berries (Sitrus, Salac, Figy etc.)
- Iron Pill – to set your Speed IVs to 0 or back to 31, useful for Trick Room
- Honey for some wild encounters
- Escape Rope to save time
v1.6 – The Mega Update
- Over 45 brand new custom Pokémon
- New (mini) boss fights
- Reworked battle mechanics
- New moves
- Reworked/Renamed/New abilities
- A lot of other changes
You can read the complete detailed changelog using the changelog button below.
- pret: Decompilation of Pokémon Emerald
- Dizzy Egg / RHH: Battle Engine, Pokémon Expansion, Item Expansion, nature-coloured stats, higher money cap
- Rioluwott (Pokémon ROWE) – I would have never finished this hack without you
- Giolitti – coding, texting, playtesting & balancing
- NocturneOfShadow – for helping with playtesting, balancing and creating trainer parties
- Thundertacos – for helping a ton with playtesting, balancing and lots of great suggestions
- Tuna – for helping a ton with playtesting, balancing and lots of great suggestions
- GobouLePoissonBoue – for helping a ton with playtesting, balancing and reporting all sorts of bugs
- Kaixer – for creating many teams used in the hack and helping with docs
- Frozen – for helping a ton with playtesting, balancing and working on teams
- Cyro – for helping a ton with playtesting, balancing and lots of great suggestions
- rabbidbunnyz – for helping a ton with playtesting, balancing and lots of great suggestions
- TheSlayingStray – for helping a ton with playtesting, balancing and lots of great suggestions
- PCG – for helping a ton with playtesting, balancing and lots of great suggestions
- adri – for helping a ton with playtesting, balancing and lots of great suggestions
- aArin – for helping a ton with playtesting, balancing and lots of great suggestions
- Attactaxi – for helping a ton with playtesting, balancing and lots of great suggestions
- Nigel – for helping a ton with playtesting, balancing and lots of great suggestions
- Barack Oboughmer – for helping a ton with playtesting, balancing and lots of great suggestions
- Gorilink – for helping a ton with playtesting, balancing and lots of great suggestions
- D U K – for helping a ton with playtesting, balancing and lots of great suggestions
- Sol Raven – for helping a ton with playtesting, balancing and lots of great suggestions
- Café – for helping a ton with playtesting, balancing and lots of great suggestions
- ryuuune – for helping a ton with playtesting, balancing and lots of great suggestions
- Dreamfield – for helping a ton with playtesting, balancing and lots of great suggestions
- TetBR – for helping a ton with playtesting, balancing and lots of great suggestions
- Rize – for helping a ton with playtesting, balancing and lots of great suggestions
- ponk – for helping a ton with playtesting, balancing and lots of great suggestions
- BuffelSaft (Inclement Emerald) – for your outstanding work with Inclement Emerald and letting me use it as a base, I’m so thankful for this opportunity
- Ydarissep – for setting up the Online Pokédex, creating the Yda patch (IE), helping with ROM hacking & teaching and helping me getting started with your base / patch
- Karathan / Sbird1337 (Sovereign of the Skies) – for helping me with abilities and bugfixing
- ghoulslash (Unbound, Voyager)- for helping in Discord, DexNav, Auto-Run, Fast Surf, Medicine Reuse, Expanded OW IDs, plural giveitem
- Skeli (Unbound) – for inspiration regarding quality, QoL, Parental Bond code
- Lunos – for your help & patience in Discord, Reusable TMs, OW poison changes, Gracidea form change
- Archie – for your tutorials & help in Discord
- beniboy (Exceeded)- for inspiring me with his ROM hack & lots of abilities/innates (multi-abilities)
- soupercell (Radical Red) – for difficulty, ability & move inspiration
- AsparagusEduardo – Decapitalisation, More Bag Pockets, Pokédex+
- TheXaman – for Pokédex Plus and running indoors
- Howls – for your amazing documentation of Inclement Emerald and letting me use it as a base
- Wyserth – for decapitalisation
- Contributors to the Simple Modifications thread: various small changes
- Camthesaxman: expanded OW IDs
- lightbox87: whiteout money
- NobodySociety: Fire Red style fishing
- Furret: Music Expansion (HGSS and DPPt tracks)
- SamuRH/Xhizy: RHH/PRET intro
- Chaos Rush, Mr. Dollsteak, contributors to the DS-Style sprite resources: Pokémon sprites
- Crema: Temtem’s “Tem Vial”, which inspired the Poké Vial item
- Anyone I forgot, who helped me on this amazing journey!